Are you prepared for compliance with the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design? We’re less than 90 days away from the March 15, 2012 deadline. It’s not too late to put a plan in place to work toward becoming compliant. Act now so as to avoid potential fines of up to $55,000!
What are the requirements?
Through our auditing experience, we’ve found a large number of ATMs fail to meet the new standards in the following ways:
- Clear Floor or Ground Space – an unobstructed approach to the ATM is required. There must also be clearance for maneuvering. The clear floor or ground space shall be 30 inches minimum by 48 inches minimum.
- Height and Reach—where forward reach is unobstructed, the high forward reach shall be 48 inches maximum and the low forward reach shall be 15 inches minimum above the finish floor or ground.
- Speech Output—machines shall be speech enabled. Speech shall be delivered through a mechanism that is readily available to all users, including but not limited to, an industry standard connector or a telephone handset.
- Braille Instructions—for initiating the speech mode shall be provided.
[Source: 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design]
There are only 700 financial institutions nationwide that are listed on the “endangered list” that gives them exempt status. If you are not one of them compliance is mandatory.
- Department of Justice, (DOJ) to date has NOT had any movement in the compliance deadline of March 15, 2012. DOJ has given a year and a half for financial institutions and requirement for a plan due in place March 15, 2011.
- Fines start at $55,000 PER ATM
- Not the DOJ, rather the Advocacy groups and others will be checking ATMs as experienced with fee stickers and legal suits.
Because of the massive scope of this for the ATM industry, reality is that ATM orders will not all be in place by this deadline. Recommendations:
- MAKE SURE YOUR DOCUMENTATION IS IN PLACE if your ATMs will not be ready by March 15, 2012.
- Documentation purpose is to show “good faith” that steps to become compliant are in place.
- Documents should include a timeline backed up by:
- Orders placed for parts upgrades, software or ATM replacement.
- Copies of the order(s).
- Estimated date and game plan for installation
Contact us today to schedule your ATM fleet audit or get additional information firstname.lastname@example.org or 818-241-9571 x 319.Posted on